Jai-Alai Chalk Talk Hall of Fame

Start of Thread

Re(1): Jai-alai Injuries

Posted on August 7, 2013 at 05:13:21 PM by Perry

Fortunately nothing major, because the guys I play with don't throw all that hard, but I've been hit a few times. Once, playing outdoors in Astoria, I was on the sidelines while a couple of other guys were playing a point. The pelota bounced on a crack in the ground, and veered to the outside and caught me just below the left knee. Even through my jeans, it ripped the skin off my shin, but no major damage.

Playing on a court in Florida (I won't mention which one) a few years ago with a few friends, just tossing it around, not even playing competitively.....there were four of us on the court. I was around the 7 line on the outside part of the court, another guy was inside at the 7, and the other two guys were back at about the 10 or 11. One of the guys in the backcourt throws the ball, and it's coming right to my forehand. The guy to my inside (who will also remain nameless) comes running to the outside a few feet in front of me, and I didn't see him until the last split second because my back was to him as I prepared for a right side catch. He went for the catch, and tipped the pelota down into my left shin, a few inches above the ankle. Being the idiot that I am, rather than going for ice, I walked it off for a minute or so and continued playing. About fifteen minutes later, I noticed that I had a lump about the size of a pelota inside my left sock. This was day two of a seven day vacation, and I wasn't about to spend my week in bed with my leg elevated, so I went about my business for the entire week, with the blood oozing down into my ankle and my foot. It didn't hurt too badly for a couple of days, but by the end of the week I was limping badly. I knew nothing was broken, because I was able to walk on it right after it happened, but it was getting very ugly. By the time I got home after the vacation, my ankle and foot were badly swollen and about seven different shades of purple, and I had to go on crutches for a week and a half.

Home Page